Thursday, April 12, 2012

a thousand words - Gia Canali

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Great photographs tell a story by capturing a moment in time. In this series, I am asking some of my favourite wedding photographers to describe one of their cherished photographs. My inspiration is the book Photography Speaks: 150 Photographers On Their Art. This book features a number of iconic photographers who share some personal reflections about one of their photographs. Although I don't yet own a copy of the book, the idea captured my imagination and is the inspiration for a new series of guest blog posts with photographers.

This month, I'm so excited to introduce Gia Canali. Gia is based in San Francisco and Los Angeles but loves to travel far and wide for weddings. Her precious moment in time features a perfectly timed double rainbow! I think you'll enjoy hearing her story ~


"This image is from the very end of one of my very favorite wedding ceremonies I've ever gotten to witness.  We were up on a cliff top near the Continental Divide in Colorado, in the heart of the Rocky Mountains.  A summertime storm had rolled in that afternoon, and it had drizzled on and off throughout the day.  But it really started to pour during the middle of the ceremony, and then--suddenly-- just as the couple began their vows, the rain cleared and the sun came out, surprising us all with a dazzling double rainbow.   The second rainbow doesn't really show much in this photograph, but the exhilaration and joy of that moment absolutely does show through.  

The "kiss" shot from their ceremony is beautiful, but this photograph, which is jubilant and full of the couple's energy, will always be my favorite."

Thanks for being part of this series Gia. I love the laughter soundtrack that I can hear in my head when I look at it - pure happy emotion on a cliff top, with a double rainbow. Who could ask for more?! I hope you come to shoot a wedding in Ireland one of these days.

Check out Gia's website and blog as well as my previous feature on her 'Vintage processes' fine art prints. This photography guest post is part of a series which are archived on the blog.

As always, I welcome your comments below. Feel free to drop me an email if you have suggestions for future features.

No comments: