Friday, May 11, 2012

Designing a backdrop necklace

Friday, May 11, 2012
It's Friday and I'm sipping a nice coffee while sketching some designs. I'm coming up with ideas for Claire who has asked me to design a hanging backdrop necklace for her wedding. Her satin dress has a beautiful low cut back and I think her jewellery idea will really set off the dress.


If I was to describe my designs, I would say that fluidity is really important to me. I love delicate, unstructured shapes and elements that look like they've been taken from nature! My Rangoli beaded hairwires are some of my favourite designs as they are so versatile and can be woven into many hairstyles. I think similar elements would work well in this fine jewellery piece.


The image above is an inspiration picture sent to me by Claire. This backdrop necklace was designed by Debbie Graham. Below is an elegant example I found via {this is glamorous} while researching on-line.


I can't wait to work on this project. Claire doesn't want the necklace to be seen at the front of her dress so I'm coming up with ways of attaching the strands to the back of the dress. Lots to think about before I meet Claire at the end of the month!

Do you know of anyone who wore a necklace like this? Send me on some links or photos - I'd love to see them!

Drop me a line if you'd like to discuss an unusual piece of jewellery for your wedding. You can view some of my latest commissions here on the blog or on my website.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ohh i am very interested in having a piece like this also for my wedding, do you have picture of the finished product.

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah

I'm sorry that I missed your comment. I tried to connect with you via Google + but without success! Why don't you send me an email aisling[at]rangoli.ie and we can have a chat about a design for you?

Thanks
Aisling