Monday, September 2, 2013

Rangoli bridal hair chain

Monday, September 2, 2013
Rangoli headpiece sketch

I always think of my headpieces as jewellery that you wear in your hair. Why should a necklace only be worn around your neck? Here's a peek at a recent commission that's got me really excited! I know it's going to inspire a whole new collection.

 

Thanks Tara, for letting me share your bespoke headpiece! It was designed to go with the Lita dress by Catherine Deane, (seen below).

After lots of chatting and sketching, we came up with a design that can be woven into Tara's soft up-style. The idea for the beaded chain came from the petal shapes in the skirt. They're so delicate and are trimmed with tiny pearls and antique silver beading. The beaded chain moves in the same way as the fabric. Little details like that, really matter to me! And the beaded flowers pick up on the lace embroidery.

I know that Tara's hairdresser will create an amazing style around her headpiece. I can't wait to see the pics!

Rangoli, beaded bridal chain.
 Lita dress by Catherine Deane

It might also surprise you to hear that I design very few bridal necklaces. Have you ever considered not wearing a necklace for your wedding? Here's my personal thoughts about necklaces and wedding dresses.

  • Most dresses are absolutely stunning by themselves. This goes for the most minimal of dresses to ones that are embellished with thousands of sequins and pearls. By not wearing a necklace, people get a chance to really see you in your beautiful dress, without being distracted by a neck-piece.

  • Your dress may have a beaded belt or striking, decorative detail. Think of these details as your jewellery, but worn on a different part of the body. Sometimes, adding a necklace to the look is just too much.

The best piece of advice I can give is to just be you - wear what makes you feel happy. I spend lots of time with clients, just listening to how they talk about their own style and what makes them feel comfortable. At the end of the day, I believe that's the most important thing.


Most people who visit me don't have a clear idea of what they're looking for. That's one of my favourite parts of what I do; to offer you lots of advice and show you styles you may never have thought of! I'm always up for a chat about bridal accessories - you can get in touch by email or phone.  Or if you're at the early research stage, check out some of my recent commissions here on the blog.

Credits:
Rangoli website
Rangoli sketch by Aisling Nelson
Photos of Lita dress taken from the Catherine Deane Website.

No comments: